Wednesday, June 24, 2009

In '95 we take back Ebbets Field. "Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers."

So much Brooklyn-ery lately on the web log!

'95 was so good to us, 'member? We were so young and bright-eyed and hopeful, there was a Democrat in office, the Raiders returned to Oakland but it was OK, and ODB was still around and gettin psycho, killaa Norman Bates. I'm sad to say I had totally forgotten about the song below, but we recently got reacquainted like we had never lost each other. Feels lovely.

Press play, just trust me, cuz you'll remember how happy you were all those years ago, when you first heard the Premier production finery on this track--the way he chopped up the vocals on the Tribe-produced '94 original, oh my goodness--and then that one verse came in (the way Chubb says, "Kennedy,"), and then that other verse (OC saying, "Fort Greene would hem ya, wreck the fuck on up"), and then the verse after that.


Jeru for President based on that Sega line*; I don't need nothin else from my political leaders.

O.C. for VP.
Chubb can be Secretary of State, or maybe Speaker of the House.

It's the Masterful Voice and Delivery In A Golden-Era Rap Song Seminar of nineteen hundred and ninety-five. Please take your seat; these dudes are the 3 keynote speakers.




(song complimented by the lovely visual of yellow crime tape as a basketball hoop net, the greatest Barbara Walters reference of the last hundred years, and the presence of Masta Ace, who can thrill me by committing the simple act of saying words into a microphone.)





"Peace to the East New York, Perverted Monks, and Mike Tyson"
- Jeru








*Chips that powered nuclear bombs power my Sega.

3 comments:

danps said...

Witness Protection Program.

danps said...

Followup to previous comment.

now start approving these goddamn things.

Logan said...

Sorry, Daniel...I've been sick and/or lazy, but I do enjoy the comments. I'll be quicker. Now please stop yelling.