Thursday, June 25, 2009

YOU BIG DUMMY. Dirt naps. Stick-ups. Brown & Bambaataa.

1.




(Malt liquor=lager. Redd knows.)



2.
5 O'Clock Shadowboxers, "Dirt Naps."
At first I thought I didn't like this, but then I kept listening to it over and over. Spoiler alert: I like it.

The rhyme-sayer on the song sounds like Ase Rock if he were on Rhymesayers. This guy is the production wizard behind it. And mostly I'm posting it because I like the dude saying, "I don't care for it" at the beginning, since I say this many times per day and it's pretty cute.
("I don't care for Ash Roth; he frightens and confuses me."
"OH NO, everybody on Tumblr reposts everybody else's stuff all day; it's just one
via after another. I don't care for that.")

Oh and did I mention that the line

"Back in the days, I was tentative/Riki Rachtman, summer days, Bon Jovi, "Bad Medicine"

is pretty great, and

"The blog boys got holes & can't fill em up/cuz a Zshare link don't equate to real buzz"

is pretty goddamn fresh, too.

Plus they have a song called "Eric Lindros," the greatest song title-that-also-happens-to-be the-name-of-a-foreign-sports-figure since "Detlef Schrempf."


mp3.




3. "Stick-up kids play in the front of Latin Quarters/Keep home your daughters."

OC's verse on "Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers" got me thinking about common lyrical content. (Dudes verses making me think about things is a frequent occurrence in apt. 302.)


Also, Rae got me thinking. He usually does--especially when he's doing his impression of Ace Rothstein.

the runners is watchin the fiends
now the look-outs is watchin the runners
the runners are watchin the spot
while the spot is bein ran by the hustlers
the hustlers is bein watched by the dealers
and while the dealers are bein watched by the stick-up kids
the stick-up kid watches the dealers
the police is watchin the stick-up kid
we watchin the police
and the eye in the sky is watchin us all





The Roots. Stick-up kids is jumpin outta plated Dodge Rams.
Biggie. Big up, big up/It's a stick-up, stick-up.
Eazy. This is a stick-up.
Rakim. You know, that one line.
Greg Nice. Gangstarr. Stick-up kids is out to tax.
M.O.P. You know, that one line.
Nas. Stick-up kids with no conscience, leavin victims with doctors.
Organized. Fifty-two pick-up, a stick-up.

Plus, Honey Cone has that song "Stick Up," which I hope the SKs chop & loop someday.


Once again, I go and do the damn thing with yet another excellent non-example of me using my expensive master's degree: in this case, pondering and then culling from memory a retrospective of various lines from MCs over the years about petty theft with a firearm. I'd like to give a special shout to Cal State Long Beach for the piece of paper in a frame on my wall, and say hi to my mom and dad, without whom none of this music dork/fiend business would be possible.


4. Socialize, get down/Let your soul lead the way.







3 comments:

Zilla Rocca said...

Hey, that rhyme sayer on "Dirt Naps" is me! Art house bitches are found around homie. Thanks for listening!

douglas martin said...

thank you so much for the love! that's funny that you mention the "i don't care for it" at the beginning, because whenever i'm not really into something, i bark, "i don't like it. i don't care for it" in my best zilla voice.

Logan said...

Slug, is that you??

Tee hee.

Hi Zilla! Have I mentioned I like your song?

Love,
Logan