Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lamont Dozier! (06/16/41)



More birthday craze, kids! As a highly regarded graduate of Music Nerd Academy, I GETS MINES when it comes to Holland-Dozier-Holland. They produced 8 billion Motown songs that you know all the words to and this made it difficult for me to decide on a song to post (OMG, "Baby Love"! "Reflections"! "How Sweet It Is"!).

But after much thought, I'm comfortable with my decision to post this one, the musical definition of the word bittersweet:




Oh yeah, when you see me smile
You know things have gotten worse
Any smile you might see
Has all been rehearsed...

Those harmonies and finger snaps and the minor key, sigh! Pining away for your lover makes you hurt inside but it feels so good, no?


They also produced a bunch of Supremes stuff, which basically just provides an excuse for me to post this, a Clothing Item I Need In Order To Survive:

(back in '95 I had a raging crush on Jeff Pang. Swoon.)


After the glory days of Motown from '62-'67, due to some nasty litigation between Holland-Dozier-Holland and industry bawss Berry Gordy, they broke the fuck out and started their own label, Hot Wax--home to the singing lady fierceness known as Honey Cone,


who you guys know about because nearly every damn time we go to Fatburger I pick "Want Ads" as one of my 3 songs for $1 on the jukebox.

(And also cuz Common sampled "Innocent 'Til Proven Guilty.")





mp3.







No comments: