Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Episode 617: the one where Russ & I go to a kick-ass award show (brought to you by Viacom, Inc.)

I hope our platonic affair is still going strong in October.


"VH1 Hip Hop Honors To Focus Entirely On Def Jam"(!)

"The show, which takes place on Tuesday, Oct. 13 at 9:00 PM, will commemorate the storied label's 25 years in the industry, including segments on founders Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons.

Also a part of the event, as is now customary, many hip hop stars will show to perform some of the label's biggest hits, both past and present.

In its sixth year, the annual event will be hosted by comedian Tracy Morgan for the third time in a row. It will take place at the Brooklyn Academy of Music."



I think the kids call the place BAM, no? I haven't got a stitch to wear to something like this, and I need to go hard in the dress & heels department if I'm gonna be Russell's date. The show's not 'til October, though, so I will have plenty of time to get a killer, tight, pretty dress like Bar's to wear to the show. I heard Russ is actually suing Def Jam at the moment so this event could be slightly awkward for all parties present, but he doesn't really involve me in industry politics so I don't know the whole story.

I'll get to see Rubin's rabbinical beard live and in person, and ask him about Johnny Cash and Serj Tankian. And I'll shake Slick Rick's hand and be so breathless and amazed and fangirl-ish that I'll probably forgive him on the spot for laying down a verse this year on a song by that hideous Ash Roth (Rick the Ruler gets a One-Time Wackness Pass just for being Rick the Ruler, please note). And at the pre-show dinner, of course Russ and I are gonna be seated at a table with the Beastie Boys; Buddhists are vegetarian, so MCA will probably order the pasta dish.





2 comments:

danps said...

62.5 percent=basketball gods did not wish for your team to win. File it & forget it.

Logan said...

OH DANIEL!
I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear you say that. See, 'cause

when I run in the dark, Daniel
to a place that's vast, Daniel
under a sheet of rain in my heart
Daniel, I dream of THE LAKESHOW.

Love,
Logan