Sunday, May 24, 2009

Let me tell you the story of "Right Hand, Left Hand"

"WE LOVE ROLL CALL, Y'ALL! Boogie Down Productions, Rob Base, Dana Dane, Marley Marl, OlaTunji, Chuck D, Ray Charles, EPMD, EU, Alberta Hunter, Run DMC, Stetsasonic, Sugar Bear, John Coltrane, Big Daddy Kane..."

The ice cube scene.
The d-bag in the Bird jersey.
Clemens vs. Gooden.
Michael JOR-DANN. (and the epic ironic comedy of a dude named Giancarlo Esposito throwin shade at all the Eyetalians in Bed-Stuy)
Left hand Hate KO'd by Love.

D, motherfucker, D.

Oh, and fuck you, fuck your fuckin' pizza, and fuck Frank Sinatra.


Extra cheese is $2 at Sal's Famous.


LOL, John Turturro:
"Spike Lee: There were crack houses in the neighborhood (we were filming in). The NYPD was not thought of that highly in most black communities, especially Bedford-Stuyvesant, so we got [Minister Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam's security force] the Fruit of Islam to watch the set.

Ernest Dickerson, cinematographer: It became the safest block in Brooklyn!


Richard Edson [Vito]: I tried to get through to the Fruit of Islam guys. It was kind of a challenge because I knew they had very strong racial feelings. So every morning, I would say hello and try to engage them. I don't think they ever even acknowledged me. I finally gave up after about four weeks.


Giancarlo Esposito [Buggin Out]: Those guys were hard-core. They just didn't like or hang out with white people.

Turturro [Pino]: They talked to me all the time. They called me Brother John. I guess Richard is not as black as I am."


and because it's been a few days without a President Dreamboat reference:


"Lee: There was a benefit for Barack Obama on Martha's Vineyard when he was running for the Senate. I didn't really know who he was. He came over and said, "You're responsible for me and my wife getting together." Then he told me how they saw "Do the Right Thing" on their first date, and then went to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream and talked about it.


Roger Guenveur Smith [Smiley]: We're actually responsible for a whole new era in American political achievement.


Lee: I think [Barack] is a very smart man, because if he had taken Michelle to see "Driving Miss Daisy," things would have turned out a whole lot different.
"






2 comments:

willZ. said...

So cool.. The taking of the classic Love/Hate pic... Kind of reminds me of the taking of the Air Jordan "Wings" poster. Damn, wish I could post the pic for that added visual oomph!

Logan said...

"The Night of the Hunter" - Harry Powell's knuckles