Monday, July 27, 2009

"Pops trippin, man. He want me to ask for my bike back."

A post about O'Shea Jackson and funk and early-90s G movie soundtracks.



I saw Deebo in the elevator at work last week (he was nice, and guess what?, very large), and that made me think about Friday, then about the Friday soundtrack, then about '90s Ice Cube movies and so then of course I thought about the Boyz in the Hood soundtrack because that's how my brain works and I'm a nerd. So then my thoughts were consumed by Rose Royce and Funkdoobiest and Kam (who has still not come back to save the situation despite my requests) and "How to Survive in South Central" (complete with Ice Cube warning us all to trust nobody/especially a BITCH with a hooker's body; a certain verrrry young lady blogger listened to lines like that, which is kinda cringe-worthy now but hell, I got my master's degree and I turned out just fine. No harm, no foul.). Anyway, music nerdery related to '90s movies will lead to my demise, but I love it. My key points are as follows:



1.
Your next BBQ in LA will explode with the delight of any and all 25-35-year-olds in attendance if you play some Funkdoobiest ("Superhoes" on the Friday soundtrack), I can say this with all kinds of authority.


Son Doobie was and still is the only Boricua in LA County so of course Muggs had to produce, duh. He had the market cornered on nasal-y voiced and bucket-hat wearing Caribbean Latino rappers circa '91, let's not forget.






2.
THE MOST comical moment in cinema during the year 1991.
Look at chain-snatchin dude's face! Die. I die laughing every time.


Singleton & Cube did not care for Bush supporters.





3.
I do not care for the odd placement of a west coast rap jam on an east coast soundtrack, and the other way around. It makes me uncomfortable.

Cypress Hill and Too $hort were on the Juice soundtrack and that was weird, and Main Source* were on the Boyz soundtrack and that was weird. I'm still recovering. And please do not get me started on the worst offender of them all--the Colors soundtrack, which after the first song, was replete with everybody but a west coast-er.


Kane, Kool G, MC Shan, Rakim.
I enjoy these gentlemen as MCs but they know nothing about the C.R.A.S.H. unit so they should stay off LA-based gang film soundtracks, thankyouverymuch.

Easy there, Pacman.




* Main Source - "Just a Friendly Game of Baseball" remix

(YouTube, you're triflin and I am angry with you for offering only an un-embeddable version of this song.)

The remix is heavily superior to the Breaking Atoms version, according to this writer who is the authority on such matters; however, the Breaking Atoms version is still so lovely because it flips and bounces the song below and for that I am eternally grateful.
Is it weird for somebody to name her firstborn Large Pro? I need your unbiased opinion.





("Latin Lingo" too, and Pete Rock/CL)



Songs from 1971 will make you want to remove yourself from your clothing, or is that just me?
I am building my life around the musical moment at 02:59 and everything that follows thereafter. Hey, how did my dress come off? That's weird.



.



..

.

1 comment:

danps said...

The case for 1971:

* Who's Next
* The Yes Album
* Led Zeppelin IV
* Sticky Fingers
* The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
* Maggot Brain
* Nursery Cryme
* There's a Riot Goin' On

NOTES:
1. Yes I'm an art rock fan. Ironically 1971 is the year Emerson, Lake and Palmer released Tarkus, a lesser effort sandwiched between two great ones (Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Trilogy). We need to adjust the calendar to include one of those.
2. Same for All Things Must Pass, released 34 days before 1971 began.
3. I'm a moderate Rolling Stones fan and include Sticky Fingers for its reputation more than any great fondness for it. Exile on Main Street is their masterpiece and I definitely wore out the grooves on that one.
4. I only really like the title track of The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, but damn is it good.
5. It's hard to overstate how great Led Zeppelin was. They still cast a long shadow. However,
6. Who's Next is the best rock album ever.

CONCLUSION:
If 1971 doesn't win it's at least a finalist.