Thursday, July 16, 2009

Desmond Dekker, 07/16/41.



"Desmond Dekker, he came first." - Toots

"Desmond has his barrow in the marketplace." - Paul McCartney ("Ob-La-Di" was written in tribute to Mr. Dekker)


Juice has had the soundtrack game begging for mercy since '92, but even Juice isn't The Harder They Come. I mean, really, which one would you play at your next BBQ if you don't want the ladies to get frightened and leave? Desmond's lilting, high, beautiful tenor makes a sunny day in your backyard so lovely, even when he's singing about rudies shooting and looting and bombing up the town.

(Of course I have to cause trouble and state for the record that Rockers is superior to both of the above, but this is because I am obnoxious. Ignore me and I'll stop.)



"Israelites." (Please refer to the Ian Curtis post below for the last example of Non-Obscure But Classic Song by Music God)


mp3.


"Beautiful and Dangerous." Oh lookie, a song about me. Except for the beautiful part. Additionally, I'm not dangerous. Unless you mean dangerously nerdy-?



mp3.

PS -a real quick "Oh word" moment:

"Considering how dangerous everything is, nothing is really very frightening." - Gertrude Stein







No comments: