Saturday, July 4, 2009

I don't need your war machines/I don't need your ghetto scenes.

1. I need those 10 lbs now, please.
I need 'em.





2.
Thing You Already Knew About Me, #10,000:
I feel that Prod and Hav are great Americans.





Thing # 10,001:
I feel that El and Juss and Len are great Americans.






3. 07/04/29: Al Davis's birthday!
Your dude is 136 years young and will still smack you in the mouth if you dare to bring shame upon The Family.

"Always keeps a portion of the Raiders in LA just in case."


4.
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf; do you guys remember?


I don't know why but I've been thinking about him, and holy hell did this dude do a fantastic rendition of Black Man Upsetting Everybody With His Opinions--although, c'mon, this was a simple thing to accomplish in 1996 America and it remains a simple thing to accomplish today. He played for the Nuggets and refused to stand during the national anthem due to, GET THIS: his contention that "the United States flag is a symbol of oppression, of tyranny."


"This country has a long history of that," he said. "I don't think you can argue the facts. You can't be for God and for oppression. It's clear in the Koran, Islam is the only way. I don't criticize those who stand, so don't criticize me for sitting. I won't waver from my decision."

And then America proceeded to have a giant tantrum; there was lots of screaming and crying. Some of us moved to Canada.
And the only Caucasoids who agreed with him and were calm about this situation, I'm pretty sure, were the adults who lived in my house and smoked a lot of weed and read The Nation. Oh, and Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins were probably OK with it too. Then the King Adrock wore an Abdul-Rauf Nuggets jersey in tribute a couple months later, during the Beastie Boys' set at the SF Tibetan Freedom Concert (which I did not go to because God was punishing me), and that's when I knew that he and I would be forever entwined in marital bliss.

(All I want from you, America, is a goddamn picture of Adrock wearing that jersey at the SF show in '96 so that I can post it for maximum effect and provide a visual for this story on my web log.
8 zillion pictures of Drake, Joe Budden, and Ash Roth thanks to my Google-Fu. Zero pictures of the King Ad Whammy x SF in '96. Terrific. Internets, you've failed me again.)


5. Bassline/handclaps/humming/the moment starting at 01:02/Jack Bruce being a dirty British blues-obsessed bass-wielder and vocal champ.

I can walk down the street, there's no one there
Though the pavements are one huge crowd...



No comments: