Friday, August 14, 2009

22 years ago to keep it on track.


A post about noripinephrine and Pete Rock. I reminisce, I reminisce.


We remember extremely happy or sad occasions vividly if there's a strong emotional connection, scientists always say; emotion somehow makes memories last for a long time. It makes sense, like how I can tell you I was drinking orange juice, had my hair in a ponytail, and was standing in the kitchen with my dad on Christmas morning when we heard about James Brown's death on the radio.

On one of my many science websites I prowl throughout the day (ScienceDaily, what up), I saw that scientists have just discovered exactly why memories last so long--a lifetime even--in terms of brain chemicals. So I had to run and come tell you guys. Extreme emotions trigger the release of norepinephrine, which is related to adrenaline and gives you energy in times of stress in order to help you survive--the "fight or flight" hormone.
And now that they've isolated the exact chemical cause of long-lasting memories, scientists hope it'll help them develop treatments to prevent and treat conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder, in which memories cause torment and are not pleasant to have rattling around in your brain. Somebody get Luis Resto on line 1, please.


'Course, I like to focus on positive, '92ish memories. Try to tell me you're not an innocent, bright-eyed young thing again, full of hope and promise, every time you hear the jangly intro* below. Press play for your free norepinephrine rush on a Friday morning.




African-American College Alliance sweatshirts (hollerrr), Tom Scott**, Pete's super tight billiards game, Pete sporting his own name on a piece of cloth on his head, Pete saying
Never be another/He was my brother, fightin in front of Big Lou's, using your condom, taking the first letter out of each word in this joint.
And
I can hear his head bangin on the wall in the next room was always such a perfect example of cadence, right? (or was it just me?)

Memories.

*



*
* 01:39.




.
.
.
.

No comments: