Monday, August 24, 2009

"A life-or-death battle." Yamashita's burning piano.


At a sunset performance on a beach in Ishikawa Prefecture, western Japan, 66-year-old Japanese jazz pianist Yosuke Yamashita donned a fire-resistant suit, set his piano on fire, sat down, and played an improvised piece for 500 people. He did it, he said, to express his burning passion for music. This was in March '08, though he originally did it in '73 when he was the subject of a short film for a friend.

This is SO Zappa, but I think he never did it because he didn't play piano. That would explain it. John Cage, though...



The piano burst into flames as soon as Mr Yamashita started playing and he continued for a full ten minutes until all the strings were burnt out and the piano went quiet.

‘I did not think I was risking my life but I was almost suffocating from the smoke that was continuously getting into my eyes and nose.

‘I had decided to keep on playing until the piano stopped making sounds, so though I did not mean it but it ended up having a life-or-death battle between the piano and myself,’ said Yamashita.








Cincinnati production, Wu gods, and G n' R to bring it home.


Hi-Tek in '07 thought he needed to explain why he's always in the studio, always on the piano. I did not need an explanation but it was thoughtful nonetheless. And then Ghost jumped in with some talk about the Swiss Army, and Rae repped Champion gear. Still.




And here's Axl in '92, crying about our lost love.
"I could rest my head just knowing that you were miiii-iiiine" KILLS ME every time.

Guns'n'Roses - "November Rain" - HD



.
.
.

1 comment:

headpiece747 said...

That burning piano video was that fire. Yeah not a good joke.