Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Episode 413: the one where Logan is reminded why she loves UGK


It's because I am fond of complexity in a man. I can endorse a dude that writes a song called "Fuck My Car" and also reads Joan Didion.

Your favorite K-town representer who needs to gain 10 lbs was, of course, an English Lit major heavily schooled in Didion;
Play It As It Lays and The White Album are personal recommendations from me to you (cuz I want you to go read a book, you illiterate son of a bitch), plus "Goodbye to All That" is the greatest essay I never wrote about myself, a California-bred girl living in NYC for a time. My brief existential crisis last year due to familial loss started me on a search for comforting words, and Didion's book was one that I was drawn to right away.

I don't wanna fuck your car, B--I care nothing for Vogues or shiny fenders. I just wanna talk about literary techniques and codeine, Scarface's underrated flow, Mike Watts, the soothing contents of No Death, No Fear, and ways in which to refocus after the loss of a loved one.
Trilllll.

"When rapper Bun B was left to deal with the death of his friend and music partner Pimp C, he found console in a book he purchased for his mother. Titled The Year Of Magical Thinking, the book Bun B purchased for his mother is an exploration of writer Joan Didion’s marriage, life, and the untimely death of her husband.

"Losing your best friend is like losing a part of yourself,Bun B explained to King magazine. "I bought Joan Didion's book about losing her husband for my mom. I read some of the excerpts, and one was (Didion) talking about how not a day goes by where there isn't something she wants to talk about with her husband. I kind of understand that - not to say that Pimp C was my husband, by any means.(tee hee!)


…I see cars that I knew he would have loved to drive. I hear songs that he (would've loved) to rap on,Bun told King magazine.I hear beats he would have loved to comment on. It's just little things that I would love to talk to him about.""



No comments: