Friday, September 11, 2009

She caught me off my guard/It amazes me, the will of instinct


No band is special, no player royalty.

- Krist Novoselic, no doubt having grown tired
of getting adoringly mauled by 15-year-olds in '91.





I used to have this thing where I didn’t like things if other people liked them.
I believe this is called “being 14.” I got over it.
I love Nirvana.



Nevermind came out in Sept. '91. It's 18, and legal now for you to do sexy things with, just like Breaking Atoms! (threesome?). This might have been the reason that VH1 Classic showed the episode of Classic Albums today focusing on Nevermind, with interviews and video footage and the like. So I accidentally came across it, right at 5 when it started, and for that next hour all production in apt. 302 was shut DOWNNN. I mean, I was held rapt, like one of the prisoners in The Shawshank Redemption when Andy puts that Mozart on the loudspeaker. Did we have an earthquake? Did more LA hillsides catch on fire? I'll never know 'cause Viacom and subsidiaries, you were slowly killing me for that hour with your huge production budget and ability to hypnotize with cool edits on my TV screen. Thank you for spoon-feeding me information about albums; it powers me and puts a spring in my step. However, please note that this does not mean that I respect your conglomerate. Don't get it tangled. Or something.

I looked around and found it below - music dork heaven, courtesy of VH1, which has lovingly not had its lawyers remove the clips from YouTube (thanks, guys!). Butch Vig’s got his fingers on the console in front of him, talking about cellos and demonstrating his power to take us all back to when the album was new. It's '91 again, and I'm not just referring to his glasses and haircut. Rodney King, Jeffrey Dahmer, Magic's HIV. Everybody got a copy of Nevermind and it felt good to be melodic and miserable. Then Super Nintendo came out and everybody got distracted. But it's '91 again, and I'm hoping soon we'll get around to discussing the stunner that is the name Butch Vig. Butch. Vig. That's his name, my dears. Officially. His driver's license and everything says so.

Butch describes "Polly" and uses the word "mournfulness" about Kurt and wears his feelings all over his face; just watch him, his expressions, and how he bows his head like people in church do. And realize, please, the fact that doing things right in music/life is basically the skill of: knowing what to take out and what to leave in. The end.



"So the track is a little out of tune. But that gives it kind of the eeriness."
Kurt's more hiphop than you. Hell, Kurt's maybe even more hiphop than me.
(HA, just JOKIN. But I had you for a minute there.)








PS, bonus material I call "Logan entertains herself with Google":

Nirvana, says Google Image Search. Dave Grohl's the little one on the left.


Nirvana, says Google Image Search. I liked it because it is is pretty.
I kept it in the post.
You get a blog, you post what you like; it's a beautiful system.





Shafiq Husayn (Sa-Ra) - "Nirvana"

mp3.


The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - "Kurt Cobain's Cardigan"

mp3.




.
.
.

1 comment:

danps said...

"I used to have this thing where I didn’t like things if other people liked them." This phenomenon caused me for about 2 years to ignore all music that was not made by Rush, The Tubes or Adam and the Ants. I was, regretfully, well into adulthood before I gave an honest listen to "Our Lips Are Sealed." Better late than never, I suppose.