Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm not too blind to see.

Sept. 8, 2009 AD:

I'm still ONLY built for Cuban linx, and I'm already on my third Blueprint, my how time flies.
(side note, please everybody stop saying Gray-Z. Everyone knows Grandpa Carter is the best "Jay-Z is old" nickname)

Sept. 9, 1978 AD:

"Beast of Burden" is released and, years later, would go on to provide sugary goodness in my ears and make me think that true love is a dude chasing me down the street and pleading with me to have sex with him. Beatles and Led Zep over the Stones ALL DAY, but I'd just be recalcitrant if I didn't admit they have some great ones.
The Glimmer Twins was the name of Mick and Keith as a producing duo; such a dumb name, let's be honest. They were great, though, really great. Especially here.

The Rolling Stones - "Beast of Burden"

mp3.

I die for that opening, the drums coming in, then the bass and keys, even though there are a few too many "pretty girls" in the bridge and I get tired of that falsetto real quick. Mick wants to know if he's hard enough, rough enough, rich enough. Sounds to me like she's not into him, but I don't know - sometimes you can break a girl with sheer persistence, gentlemen.



PS -
"Please baby, please baby, please baby, baby baby please."
The beg-and-plead-for-a-woman's-love is an underappreciated category of popular song. Thus spoke HeightFiveSeven.

James' "Please Please Please" and The Beatles' "Oh! Darling" are part of this canon, but there are simply too many to list and it makes me go a little crazy to try. Please see/listen below for pretty great and random selections culled from my parents' record collection.


The Four Seasons - "Beggin'"

mp3.

Frankie Valli's got that thing where a dude can be in misery but sounds so joyful while he's all wrapped up in it. Bonus extra fat points for handclaps. I'm mostly posting this so you don't think of the Madcon version whenever someone mentions this song. I mean, it's a fine version and all, but original trumps derivative almost every time.



The Temptations - "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"

mp3.

David Ruffin sang lead on "My Girl," and on this one, yet sounds so different. Smokey Robinson, in all his amazingness, knew his voice was something great and was the first to put him on as lead. Then a little thing called coke happened in the '70s and negative events befell David. Ah well.
It's 1966 and the Temps still have normal-sized egos every time I play this on the jukebox at Fatburger.



Annnnd, of course, THE BAND,
my childhood in musical form - warm and loving and sweet.
(Thanks, Mom and Dad! Sorry I cuss so much on my web log.)




Marvin Gaye cover. There's a reason why I included "almost" in my little speech above about originals vs. derivatives.

.
.
.
.

3 comments:

headpiece747 said...

I would't mind hearing what you think of the new Raekwon? Just got it and listening now.

danps said...

OK, "Beatles and Led Zep over the Stones ALL DAY" - Thx. RS are overrated. They have an album's worth of top notch singles from the sixties, but many of the allegedly great songs from that period (I'm looking at you Paint It Black, Mama's Little Helper, Street Fighting Man, Under My Thumb, God I could go on) are way overrated. Living up to the hype are Satisfaction, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Sympathy For the Devil, Wild Horses, Brown Sugar and that one song from "Satanic Majesties" that I can never remember. And Jumping Jack Flash is a finalist for best song of the decade.

"Exile On Main Street" is pure classic from start to finish, sides 2 and 3 are flawless. Only a great but smacked out artist could come up with something like "I don't want to talk about Jesus, I just want to see his face." It was written and released in 1971 but through a tear in the space-time continuum didn't show up until a year later.

They followed up Exile with "Goat's Head Soup". That's all the proof you need of their erratic quality.

"Some Girls" was a 1-album renaissance. They appeared dead for a while before it but came up aces on that one. Go figure. "Waiting on a Friend" remains a guilty pleasure.

eadpiece747, I listened to "Ill Figures" a few weeks ago and it didn't do anything for me. Did That by Something Good did, however.

danps said...

Why Chuck Klosterman gets paid to write and I don't:

"Pop archivists might be intrigued by this strange parallel between the Beatles and the Stones catalogue—it often seems as if every interesting thing The Rolling Stones ever did was directly preceded by something the Beatles had already accomplished, and it almost feels like the Stones completely stopped evolving once the Beatles broke up in 1970. But this, of course, is simply a coincidence."

And thanks for nothing OSU.