Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Whiskey in the jar


I would be remiss if I did not take a moment on this day to acknowledge the great nation of Ireland.


Van--tortured/brilliant. Substance abuse problem. Per my dad, fell off the stage in Berkeley in 1972 before his show started due to intoxication. Super G, DGAF. "Astral Weeks" is next-next-NEXT-levels aurally pleasing to me, an album so romantic that it's sacred in my world and I don't want to say any more about that and expose my heart on the Internets.

The Pogues in general, and Shane MacGowan specifically--tortured/brilliant. Substance abuse PROB-LEMMM. If you listen to "Fairytale of New York" on Christmas Day it makes baby Jesus happy (also, the video with a young Matt Dillon is lovely). I have added 18 points to their overall score due to the Elvis Costello factor (produced Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash. Sorry for music-nerd-ing out yet again. Sigh.).
Phil Lynott...no words can express. Tortured/brilliant to the nth + fond of chemicals; no longer with us due to both of those qualities. Everybody talks about Prince's influences...Prince & James Brown, Prince & Sly Stone--C'MON. Listen, I know we've all bro'd down at least once to "The Boys Are Back in Town" at the bar, but hear me when I say that "Jailbreak" is the true jammy.



Also on this list: potatoes, Jameson, myself.


2 comments:

danps said...

Van is the best. Period. Sting for grownups. Dan.

Sebastian said...

I. Love. The Pogues.

Fairytale of New York is indeed the song I would be singing to myself if I were ever to be in jail over the holidays.

I plan on naming my first daughter Lorelei, after the Peace and Love song.

Bottle of Smoke is still one of the most invigorating songs I;ve ever heard, and both Tuesday Morning and Small Hours make me want to bawl like a baby.