Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Album cover stories


I never met an album cover history lesson I didn't like; we know this.
I picked the 4 best for you, my darlings (there were 40 total)
.

Joy Division, 'Unknown Pleasures' (1979). This enigmatic image, suggested by Bernard Sumner, comes from an edition of the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Astronomy: it represents exactly one hundred pulses from the first pulsar.


Patti Smith, 'Horses' (1975). Robert Mapplethorpe was the man behind the camera on this album cover. A relationship blossomed between the photographer and Smith which would span two decades. Mapplethorpe described his relationship with the singer-poet as "like taking drugs; you're in an abstract place and it's perfect."
(I included this based on this quote alone)


The Mars Volta, 'Frances The Mute' (2005). Designed by Storm Thorgerson, famous for his iconic Pink Floyd album sleeves, this disturbing image is a reinterpretation of a 1928 painting by the surrealist artist Rene Magritte, 'The Lovers'.*


The Smiths, 'Meat Is Murder' (1985). This album cover featured an edited still image from Emile de Antonio's 1968 Vietnam documentary 'In The Year Of The Pig'. The writing on the soldier's helmet originally read "Make War Not Love".



2 comments:

Sebastian said...

Hi there, I was just looking for a good shot of the cover of Frances the Mute, and I happened by your post. Really interesting stuff, I must say, I never made the connection with Unknown Pleasures, and I'm supposed to be an astronomy major? I just have to love your music choice, by the way. Joy Division, The Mars Volta and The Smiths on the same page? Stunning photo of author? Yes please!

In all seriousness, though, great blog! Continue with the fascinatin' articles. :D

Logan said...

You are too kind, dear sir! Thanks!