Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Steve Miller plays his music in the sun and really likes fuzzy produce.


“The Joker” came out on this day in 1973. The song rules but I feel conflicted about its lyrical content.

On one hand, self-identifying as anything remotely fresh is so tired and reveals that your game is weak. So saying I'm a joker is like saying I'm sexy or I'm so intelligent. If it's true, you'll never need to say it. Shutting up about it is the best way to advertise. Who feels it knows it.

On the other hand, postmodernism in general is so tired and I find that irony is increasingly overstaying its welcome, so maybe announcing you are what you are is the ultimate in sincerity and therefore kind of dope - ? OH DEAR, I feel confused inside. Let me review this further and get back to you.




I'm deducting points for its lack of handclaps (here's how it's done), lazy song structure and
overall bad writing, but you know I love to celebrate a goddamn musical staple of ironic white pride. I also love my random thoughts about songs. Oh look, here come some now:

- Some people call Steve the space cowboy, he says. Sure, buddy, but we both know that more people call Kool Keith the space cowboy.

- Peaches are so succulent, so juicy and sweet. How come more dudes don't offer up musical tributes to them? You're a pioneer in this regard, Steve.

- Basslines. I treasure them. I keep them in an airtight glass case and wash my hands before handling them. And the ones from the mid-70s are some of the most valuable in my collection. “The Joker” is built around one that's legendary. One I'll tell my grandkids about.

- 5th Ward tie-in. Even better: underappreciated early album (pre-big hit album) tie-in. Bitches look at me like I'm a faker/Knowing goddamn well I'm a mutherfuckin heartbreaker. Turns out 'Face likes peaches too!



.
.
.

No comments: