Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oh Word? (Irving Penn edition)

The Hand of Miles Davis, New York, 1986.



I recognize it for the instrument it is - part Stradivarius, part scalpel.

- Irving Penn (1917-2009), on the camera.

(He also did this, his contribution toward scaring young girls looking through their parents' record collections.)




What Penn does with an honesty that few of his peers can muster, is remind us that a body, rounded and grounded, is one of the more enthralling objects on earth.

- Anthony Lane, The New Yorker, 2002



Sunset Rubdown - “Apollo and the Buffalo and Anna Anna Anna Oh!”

mp3.

My god, i miss the way we used to be
so here's a photograph for you to hold
it's my picture right before i got old
it's a picture of a buffalo
that we rode into extinction
that was the crime we committed in the night...

That's what the "Oh!" is for at the end of the song title. It's 'cause beautiful lyrics like this make you say Ohhh. (And not Ohhh, like Ohhh damn why didn't I think of that; just Ohhh, I'm glad somebody thought of that even if it wasn't me.)



PS, what is a
sunset rubdown and may I please have one, please. Thanks.



.
.
.
.

No comments: