Saturday, November 28, 2009

A decade and a half, courtesy of a bunch of rappers in my record collection

.
Year recognize year, AKA

Watch me use the hell outta my master's degree, AKA

Stuff like this is what I think about at work all day, AKA

A year, ten years from now, I'll remember this;
not why, only that we were here like this, together. - Adrienne Rich.




Harold! Monch! Jeruuuu!




So cool and ol' school like '8-4
The one your little mami windin' up her waist for.

Mos Def, “Close Edge”




Fool, you know me, I've been down since '85

Sellin dime for dime, doublin up my paper every time
I live the life of crime, ghetto life from day to day
Made me throw up both my hands, now get the fuck up out my -

Scarface, “Git Out My Face"




I don't bug out or chill or be acting ill
No tricks in '86, it's time to build.

Eric B & Rakim, “Eric B Is President”




'87! That was my favorite shit, god.
Polo shit...everything. Everything was lovely.

Wu, “Can It Be All So Simple”




I'm known to be the master in the MC field
No respect in '87, '88 you'll kneel.

EPMD, “So What Cha Sayin'”




NINETEENEIGHTYNINE the number, another summer
sound of the Funky Drummer.

Public Enemy, “Fight the Power.” Duh on you if you thought anything other than this one was gonna be used to rep the year 1989.




1990, Chubb Rock jumps upon the scene
with a lean and a pocket full of green.

Chubb Rock, “Treat 'Em Right.” Duhhhhhh, the sequel.




I grew up as a Christian so to Jah I give thanks

Collect my banks, listen to Shabba Ranks
I sing, and chat, I do all of that
It's 1991 and I refuse to come wack.

A Tribe Called Quest, “Jazz (We've Got)”




Dirty Rotten Scoundrel and my name is Jeru
utilizing my tools in '92
MC's step up in mobs to defeat us
when we rock knots and got props like Norm Peterson.

Gang Starr (Jeru's verse), “I'm the Man”




A one-to-three, he be home the end of '93
I'm ready to get this paper, G, you with me?

Biggie, “Gimme the Loot”


At the block party everybody jocked (who me?)
It's the MC sucka ni--as envy
I got my contract in 1993 and
I shall proceed.

The Roots, “Proceed”

mp3.

(It was a draw between 2 heavyweights. Also: 93 til infinity/kill all that wack shit. 'Course.)




'94, Big Gipp, Goodie Mo, Outkast, a vision from the past
Hootie hoo, my white owls are burnin kinda slow.

OutKast, “Git Up, Git Out”




1995, Elijah is alive
Louis Farrakhan, NOI.

Ice Cube, “Enemy”




Gimme a second, I swear
I will say about my rap career
Til '96 came ni--as I'm here
Good-bye.

Jay-Z, “December 4”




Rosco P, young G, I don't speak I just squeeze
'97 P will make you drop to your knees.

The Clipse (Rosco P's verse), “Chinese New Year”


What, you ain't know about them country fried sessions?
Does that Likwit hit in '97 answer all yo questions?

Nappy Roots, “Lac Dogs and Hogs.” Kentucky in '03; let's move there, you and me, you know, start a farm and a new life together, go to the batting cages and use our Louisville Sluggers, fueled by these kinds of glorious sounds:





An eye for an eye, you know my science of life

Is you man or mice, thugs or the cowardly type?
I kick the '98 shit for your ears to list
Ni--a P where you headed it's time to pass kids.

Mobb Deep, “Nighttime Vultures”




STILL
gettin mine in the
one nine nine. Nine.

Common + Sadat X, “1-9-9-9.” Rawkus ('91-02) forevvvvvs, how many times I gotta tell you.




I'm also preemptively including

You my pet, my poodle chicken noodle's on the rise
Open your eyes and see my life
Rap moves on to the year 3000.
- Kool Keith.


.
.

.

.

1 comment:

headpiece747 said...

That was dope how you pulled all those verses for every year. You should do the same for now through the new year. 93 til infinity is the definitely the winner for all year reference songs.