Friday, April 29, 2011

Oh word: Edward Kennedy “Duke” Ellington's birthday edition.


I never had much interest in the piano until I realized that every time I played, a girl would appear on the piano bench to my left and another to my right.



Duke understands me, clearly, based on his little piano anecdote. He understands most women, I guess. He also had a compulsive need to be around melody, so he understands me on that level too. Clearly.


Duke also said It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, the sixth-greatest “ain't”-related colloquialism after

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing,

Ain't that a bitch,

King Kong ain't got shit on me,

It ain't trickin if you got it, and

It ain't no fun if the homies can't haaaa-aaave none. (sorry, Mom)




Ellington and Coltrane - “My Little Brown Book.” OH THIS ONE'S A KILLER, beautiful but sad and a killer, so let's all remind ourselves about the joy of this one if it gets to be too much. You can feel it all over! (You can feel it all ohhhver, people.)

mp3.







.








.

No comments: