Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The 3 things on the Internet that have invaded my heart today.

Cherry + Rollins, Milan, 1963. [Roberto Polillo]



Sonny Rollins is the saxophone colossus,

that Duck Sauce song and its corresponding video* will never stop ruling,

Lil Jon is too old to still be making songs like that, and

anything produced by the good people at Organized Noize is fucking FUN, like music and life are sposed to be. I had forgotten about this; it's from '99. "Gold teeth and heavy Chevys, and talking slow/Afros & loud-ass Italian clothes" is the winner here, but that little shuffle in the drum pattern gets (a very impressive and nothing to be ashamed of) 2nd place.





#1 - Memphis bleak; there's a good piece at the Village Voice about the trials and tribs of Three 6 Mafia and 8Ball & MJG, penned by goofy looking white guy Ben Westhoff. (They always make the best writers, though, so it's OK, Ben.)








#2 - E-40, Clyde Carson, Husalah, "Lightweight Jammin." It's no "The Server"; let's just get that out of the way right now. But oddly, in defiance of the Lil Jon rule, E-40 will never be too old to make songs like this. And the way he talks about the beat while the beat plays is like a lightweight, Solano County version of James Brown talking to Fred and Maceo as "Doing It To Death" takes shape--describing the drums coming in just before they come in, talking about the effects that the groove has on his private parts, and stating with frankness the fact that he needs to be in the key of D in order to really get down there, in touch with his private parts. I tell you. People, it's bad.










#3 - Nappy Roots, “Ride.” I thought this was gonna be corny and feel-good, and then I realized I'm pretty corny and I like feeling good. And when I let it play for longer than 45 seconds, I figured out that the song isn't corny. Ignore the corny white guy strumming while leaning against the car, though; focus instead on the cute doggy and Skinny's delivery, and of course the chorus, which makes me feel good. (XXL, thanks.)

(Why yes, I heard and saw that new
Fashawn too; it leaves me underwhelmed and longing for the Mighty Mos rhyming/coal-mining original, despite Blu's presence. Can't win 'em all, Los Angeles. Unless, you know, it's the NBA we're talking about.)










* "I-can-doitanywaythatyouwantiiiiiit" is usually my line, but it's OK for someone else just this once.








.

No comments: