Monday, July 4, 2011

Then I look at you/And the world's all right with me


The photo above, that Ginsberg poem, James Brown in Rocky, jazz, rap, and the Stankonia cover are all pretty fresh, but generally I feel outraged and sad when I think about the country I am from, America. Scroll back some; you'll see it in previous posts about the death penalty, Rick Ross, John Boehner, FEMA. It's not the day of celebration that the checkout lady at Vons would like me to believe (“You saved $8.02! HAPPY 4TH!”). But I'd still like to keep it positive today, in the form of a birthday compare & contrast for two American super Gs who were both born on Independence Day: Al Davis and Bill Withers! (1929 and 1938, respectively).





I'd also like to point out that non-graphed commonalities that both men share include being revered in my childhood home and both continuing to be revered in my adult home, apt. 680 - and not just because they both have a Dr. Dre Connection!*, god you guys think I'm so easy:

Al: NWA’s attire in promo photos. Ice Cube hosting that “30 for 30” episode.

Bill:
his “Kissing My Love” provides the drums for “Let Me Ride” and a hundred other quality rap songs. Blackstreet’s “No Diggity,” the fucking JAM (7), was produced by Dre and is built on the “Grandma’s Hands” intro. Teddy Riley doesn’t have a good voice but remember how stellar his Shorty get dowwwn, good lord/Baby got ‘em open all over towwwn was?



1.




























2. Kinshasa.


























3. Bill. Cam.



4.

























5.

























6.





7.

mp3.










.

No comments: