Friday, July 8, 2011

Can I get a suuuuuuu (e)



Ghosty's being sued by a cranky old man playing the Iron Man card 11 years down the road (I believe the name Jack Urbont says it all - he's a jerk, I can just tell. And he smells bad). Mr. Urbont has discovered that musical performers like to reference and pay tribute to the characters of fiction that have inspired them, so of course a lawsuit is the next logical step here. Apt. 680 was brought to its knees by this news for a minute. Nothing bad should ever befall Ghost, and nobody round here wants words exchanged between grown-ups -- unless it's me v. Rawss, or Reggie Miller v. the Knicks (ESPN reruns! An enjoyable summer tradition), because those kind of conflicts are entertaining. Copyright-infringement anything is not entertaining, however, and this whole suit is baseless, your honor. Who can say what's right or wrong when it comes to proper boundaries between showing love for something that's inspired you, and outright idea-jacking? Who wants to get into a discussion of the differences among appropriation, endorsement, and reification? Nobody! Stop it! The whole suit makes me worry about Ghost's finances, because I don't want him to get taken, and those are just useless, fretting thoughts that wear me out. I don't need anything deflating my euphoria balloon when I'm out driving and “Hii Power” comes on, with that melancholy beat that makes every scene in the neighborhood, the dog-walkers and stroller-pushers, look extra dramatic and meaningful. I also like when that Rihanna song about murder guilt comes on; it's fun to make the case that it's like her “Bohemian Rhapsody,” except her version's got notes that I can hit since her vocal range is somewhat limited.

There were the fretting moments that seemed that they'd never end. But I've realized that this thing will die down. I promise. Urbont's just looking for attention and this is the best he can do without a blog, a Leica, a bikini collection, and a bunch of F-words to emphasize his love/hate relationship with Power 106's playlist. And luckily, nobody buys rap albums anymore, so other composers won't be similarly inspired by his greed quest. Are the Goo Goo Dolls gonna sue Lil B and Clams for denying them profits reaped from SoundCloud? (No. They are not. Because there can't be profits when the shit's free). Shouldn't have legally fucked with RZA, though, Ghost! I had to bring it up! Sorry, buddy. It's my understanding that the world is round because whatever you throw out will come back in time, but with the heat of speed gathered along its journey so it'll be extra painful when it gets back to you. Probably it'll hit the back of your neck, too, where the skin's really sensitive. I've heard older folksy types caution against spitting in the wind, and they talk about how the things that come around are usually the same things that go around. For better articulation of this, I turned to my adjunct English professor at Baller U and language jedi master I keep on retainer; when reached for comment about litigious rappers who get theirs a couple years down the road, karmically speaking, E-40 said, “I think it goes: you live by the dirt, you die by the shovel.”













.

No comments: