Friday, July 10, 2009

Mighty Mos still mighty, but also confusing

"Brooklyn rapper/actor Mos Def recently announced his plans to produce a documentary about obscure 1970s punk band, Death." (XXL Mag)


Mos is 10 times more dreamy than your favorite rapper, and lately he's started to out-nerd even ME in the music department--trying to bring some shine to a forgotten crew of instrument-wielding humans from Detroit who never got their due. The band is pretty fa-RESH, and I'm not just saying that 'cause they get an endorsement from the Black Head of the CIA.


"Mos briefly discussed possibly collaborating with ex-Roc-A-Fella head Damon Dash to make the film about the black rock group, made up of three brothers from Detroit.

'It’s going to be great,' Mos told Filter. 'These dudes were pre-Sex Pistols, pre-Bad Brains, pre-all that shit, and nobody knows them. I don’t understand how the whole world could forget them.'"



I adore this movie even though it has yet to be made, but I am frightened and confused thinking about Mos and Dame being buddies. My heart starts beating kinda fast and I feel like I need to sit down. Are they really, actually, really hanging out, watching SportsCenter in the living room of Mos's Clinton Hill brownstone and discussing future collaborative documentary efforts? Like, for reals?

Mos is like, "The historical ramifications of the Mau Mau Uprising are far-reaching," and Dame's all, "That young lady over there will look so fine after I've sprayed some Dom P all over her." It's an odd pairing, no two ways about it. I have spoken. Such is the Word of Logan.



"While (Dash) remained tight-lipped about his role in the project, the Harlem mogul sang the Brooklyn MC’s praises...

'Anything Mos wants to do I’ll do 'cause I think he’s intelligent,' Dash said. 'I think he’s a great ambassador for hip-hop. I personally don’t like to talk about things until it’s done. So when it’s done, when it’s ready—all I’m saying is that Mos Def is a really ill dude.'"

No Fucking Way; Mos is a really ill dude! Thanks for that, Dame. Welcome to 1996. Secondly, you will never ever ever be the Arbiter of Ill-ness (I already hold this title); going back to being the Arbiter of Yachts and Diamond Baguettes and Armadale is a better look for you. Step away from the Brooklyn MC and go back to helping Jim Jones with his skull t-shirt game. Bye bye. Also, if you help Mos with the project and facilitate the movie about Death to be made, you're a great dude, you're doing the Lord's work, and please ignore everything I just wrote about you, k?






No comments: